Thursday 22 April 2010

The beginnings of a shabby chic kitchen

Hello everyone,

I have been busy with our kitchen - so thought I would show you the work that has progressed so far. The kitchen has dark wood units and deep blood red walls which were not doing it for me, so we have started to repaint the units as well as the walls. I would say that right now it's 60% complete, take a peek at the photos to see what I mean. The photo to the right is very early on before we even moved in.

You can see the dark wood units, deep red walls, carpet tiles on the floor plus to the right and old Economy7 heater on the wall.

Once we moved in and the cold weather had become less frosty, we decided one Saturday to completely remove all the kitchen carpet tiles, not olny were they unsightly but I feel unhygeinic in a kitchen, they came up very easily but did leave traces of carpet glue which are very hard to remove. As we are planning to redo the kitchen floor, we have left the floor as is for now. Now we just have to think of colours and types of flooring to put down and assess how much this will cost and when to do it.


Then below you can see the start of repainting the cupboards - I bought 'champagne' colour cupboard paint from the Crown range of paints, and although it does say 1 coat, have learnt I should never have trusted that and although the results are ok, would use a primer next time. I washed each door, dried it, then sanded down and once sanded and cleaned, applied around 4 coats to the back panels and 5 coats to the fronts.

My next project was to find suitable handles, which i did by first checking the DIY shops, then seeing if I could get similar things online for less. Sure enough, ebay came through for me and I found some shabby chic handles which were ex-MFI stock.
You can see to the right what the handles look like once applied, they add more light to the dark kitchen and I do love how well they go with the cream. At this point the walls were still nagging me, as the colour was too dark for the kitchen and i didn't feel veryt relaxed when cooking, too sinister a shade of red I think!

So whilst we carried on painting the units and applying handles, I started to think about colours that might go with the style we wanted which ultimately was shabby chic. I looked at many colour charts and we did purchase some samples as well, painting them onto the dark red walls to see what the finish might be like.

I chose a sage green colour, as I have heard this works well in kitchens due to opening the appetite! However I was also aware our north facing kitchen might feel cooler with green, so I was careful to choose a relatively medium/warm shade rather than a bluish green or heavy green. As you can see more units have been painted and we have started on the walls, but the red is still showing in places!

So far we have spent around £70 on cupboard painting and brushes, another £15 on wall paint and around £35 on handles. I think that for £120, it's enabling us to live with the kitchen for quite some time yet without wanting a brand new one, plus we are learning alot along the way and living with it like this will allow us to discover in time what a kitchen really needs to be like when we do buy new.



10 comments:

David said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I like the price of a new kitchen for such a price! looks much brighter

Jo said...

It is looking so nice now. Happy cooking!

Sophie Gist said...

Thaanks everyone - it's coming along slowly but nicely - this way I find I don't rush things, therefore I do more careful work!

K said...

Hi **waves** have given you a "beautiful blogger award" here http://kscraftycorner.blogspot.com/2010/05/beautiful-blogger-award.html

Unknown said...

Hi Just looked in to say hi, linked from pm on MSE. Wow, I have added you to my favourites bar!
thanks for the inspiration.

lovebug_rita said...

Amazing what some paint can do. Can I ask, not doubting your ability but up close is the effect/finish nice that it doesnt look overly painted on? My parent's kitchen could be dramatically changed if this works :-)

Sophie Gist said...

Hi lovebug rita - thanks for your post! Each door did need around 4 coats outside and 3 or 4 inside, so it takes work but well worth it for an inexpensive change. I used 'champagne' colour cupboard paint, roughly £14 per tin and for the whole kitchen I guess we have used 3 tins. My latest post shows you how it looks now - I have just 4 doors to do - it's been a labour or love but has ensured the 'need' for a new kitchen has calmed down as this will be fine for us!

Anonymous said...

Would you recommend painting with a brush or spray painting for smooth effect? Thanks for answering.

Sophie Gist said...

Hi there, I painted with a brush, as I wanted to do it for as little as possible. It did take ages and I would say looks 'rustic' in places as a result... if you can spray paint that may be a better option! What sort of project are you undertaking?