Thursday 23 April 2009

Shabby Chic - Make your own pretty things!


Hi everyone, hope you have been enjoying the sunshine whilst it lasts!

Today my post will mainly be pictures of what I have been up to at home, mostly gardening and kitchen stuff. Before Easter I attempted to make some jelly eggs for my nieces but failed miserably (how DO the Americans do it!?), then on Easter Sunday I made some muffins, what I call Breakfast muffins as they're made with carrot and apple, with honey and cranberries for natural sweetness. I also sprinkle them with sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds for added goodness. See left for a pic of one next to my Bonne Mamman customised jars... I used normal white address labels and just added a nice font in Word, then inserted an image I liked from Google and print... far less than what the stores would charge you for jam jar labels, and, you can afford to make mistakes or change your mind!



These are my customised coffee jars as they keep things so fresh. Just be careful not to put the lids in the dishwasher as after a while they absorb moisture and there goes your airtight lid!



I have also been planting - the tall ones you can see in the pic are green beans (wow do they grow super fast - it was like Day Of The Triffids!) - also we have basil, small carrots and tomatoes growing. Let's see what happens! Have tried lettuce but failed - must try harder as they're supposed to be super easy! We want to be able to have our own edibles this Summer, and so far have not really spend much on them - as you can see lots of the pots are yogurt pots! Whilst I am experimenting, I'd rather do that, then spend more later when I know what's what...

I love all things Shabby Chic - the gingham print on the jam jar lids, aged French furniture, you name it, it's how I'd love my home to be. Of you like that style too, do join us on MSE on this thread packed with lovely ideas!

Shabby Chic Thread

2 comments:

No Longer 25 said...

These jars look great, I love the labels - will have to try that out. What coffee did you buy in jars like that? My jars are not as attractive but could probably work out ok.

Always thought those Jam Jars were cute but was never sure what to do with them other than home made jam!

Sophie Gist said...

Hi Jade - thanks very much! I love the jars - Bonne Mamman is def my favourite and then the coffee jars are Douwe Egberts, and are airtight. Tesco sometimes have them on offer... I am sure though that any jar that's the right size will look fine, especially if you have several together. You could get some twine and a brown tag, and tie it round the jar, with nice writing on the tag?
I love Shabby Chic!